Anatomical Constraints

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #17848

Why don’t we run like Cheetahs? Obviously we are not cats and have far different anatomy. What concerns me is that humans are not orbs, and we have anatomical limits and constraints that make biomechanics far more complicated than physics classes. One of the debates is what is more important, vertical forces and horizontal forces with sprinting. I will bring up the debate later this week as an ex

Continue reading…

Participant
    oshikake@ymail.com on #110856

Why don’t we run like Cheetahs? Obviously we are not cats and have far different anatomy.

The anatomy is not as far out as you think, in terms of bone, muscle, tendon structures etc.

The biggest difference is the flexibility of there spines spring loading each step producing massive strides & for this reason it’s why humans will never run as fast unless we can at least produce the same amount flexibility & decompression in the spine first & foremost.

If 6secs is the record for a cheetah over 100m, there is no way a human is going to get close to that.

Participant
    star61 on #110860

…What concerns me is that humans are not orbs, and we have anatomical limits and constraints that make biomechanics far more complicated than physics classes…

I guess that depends on which physics classes you’re taking.

Participant
    JeremyRichmond on #110867

[quote author="Carl Valle" date="1316457975"]Why don’t we run like Cheetahs? Obviously we are not cats and have far different anatomy.

The anatomy is not as far out as you think, in terms of bone, muscle, tendon structures etc.

The biggest difference is the flexibility of there spines spring loading each step producing massive strides & for this reason it’s why humans will never run as fast unless we can at least produce the same amount flexibility & decompression first & foremost. But also… We need to develop our tendon elasticity better, generate greater power & they perform max effort sprints everyday too.

If 6secs is the record for a cheetah over 100m, there is no way a human is gonna get close to that but there are people out there that believe it’s possible.[/quote]

We can run like cheetahs…just nowhere near as fast as we can run on two legs. You’re welcome to try this one JC. Please get back to us on your 30m times for both the 4 legged case and the 2 legged case.

And you haven’t gotten back to us yet on your times when running with excessive spinal bending….waiting…………………

(Oh. Disclaimer! I take no responsibility if you get injured.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.