An Interesting Take on Hart-Wariner Split

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #14323

An excerpt from FoxSports Bottom 10:(2a) Jeremy Wariner: The defending Olympic champion in the 400 meters asked his coach to take a pay cut on their new contract. No big deal except the coach is Clyde Hart, his Baylor mentor and the man whose 4-by-4 relays earned All-America status 26 straight years and won 14 NCAA titles, which means he knows more about quarter-milers than Penn State knows about

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Gator9192 on #68334

Thank you for posting this as I did not see this on SportsCenter(laughter, I hope)! I investigated and found this link from the WACO paper… https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/college/2008/01/30/01302008wacbreakup.html
    Can’t believe it! I believe this is a classic case of getting “too big for your britches” I AGREE with the original post! This is freakin’ Clyde Hart! May I say that again, this is freakin’ Clyde Hart! The father of training 400 runners! Why must greed get in the way of personal relationships? I am proud of Clyde’s response in the article above as he is very professional. Question: Should the assistant be coaching Jeremy at Baylor?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #68340

Why must greed get in the way of personal relationships? [color=red]I am proud of Clyde’s response in the article above as he is very professional.[/color] Question: Should the assistant be coaching Jeremy at Baylor?

To be fair…Michael Ford is actually the head coach at Baylor.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Gator9192 on #68344

I know that you are a coach at the D1 level, and I am not. The Bears website https://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/c-track/spec-rel/010808aac.html states that Todd Harbour is the head coach. Can you explain? My thought was that if Clyde Hart helped Mr. Ford become a coach at Baylor, would it be advisable to stay loyal to Coach Hart? Just a thought. Second, do you think that Michael Johnson will become his coach?
    I really liked this article https://universalsports.nbcsports.com/articles/show/44030 in which this conversation happened –

Lewis Johnson: I think we can all agree, that if Jeremy, even without Clyde Hart, is able to go out and duplicate his performance in 2004, that he will be Olympic champion in Beijing.

Dwight Stones: Yes, but without Clyde Hart he doesn’t break the world record. And that is the next step for Jeremy.

I am not judging anyone in any of this conversation. I believe that it will be a very interesting situation that develops during a GREAT year for track & field, i.e. OLYMPIC trials & OLYMPICS!

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #68345

You’re right….brain fart on my part. Harbour is the head coach.

I read Ford did it out of respect for Jeremy and that he was just caught up in the middle of the entire thing.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Gator9192 on #68347

Not a problem. I have enjoyed reading about this situation and am very curious as to how it will transpire.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.