Acceleration phase

Posted In: The Classics

Participant
    Kebba Tolbert on #21745

I've seen a lot of sprint data, but haven't seen any that show women accelerating longer than men. In almost all of the cases the men accelerate deeper into the race (100m) and maintain peak/near peak velocities longer.

I haven't seen any of the data from NSA for the 2005 World Champs but don't expect it to be too much different than previous years OG/WC/USATF data. Gatlin's data is diff than most (as seen in his "WR" run) in this his stride frequency is very low.

Participant
    Dave Hegland on #21746

I've seen a lot of sprint data, but haven't seen any that show women accelerating longer than men. In almost all of the cases the men accelerate deeper into the race (100m) and maintain peak/near peak velocities longer.

I haven't seen any of the data from NSA for the 2005 World Champs but don't expect it to be too much different than previous years OG/WC/USATF data. Gatlin's data is diff than most (as seen in his "WR" run) in this his stride frequency is very low.

KT, I haven't seen much of the data.  I'm interested in the time, rather than distance, durations of accel for men and women.  Men accelerate further, but is the time about the same? 

Maybe there aren't any conclusions to draw, or applications to be made, just curious.

Participant
    Kebba Tolbert on #21747

well most of the men are hitting peak velocities btw 50-65m and "near peak" much sooner. Since the world record for 50m is 5.56 so assume they most men are accelerating for 5-6 secs. With the greatest amount of acceleration happening in the first 3-4 secs.

For women the 50m WR is 5.96, 60m is 6.92. They tend to be closer to peak velcoity around 45-55m.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21748

Just to echo and support what KT said, accelerations are occuring over roughly the roughly the same time frames but men accelerate faster (a greater change in velocity / time) and for a longer duration (of time and distance).

The greatest acceleration occurs in the first second and dramatically drops off from that point on. When the athlete is at 40m they are very close to top-end speed.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #21749

By what Kebba just posted, it indicates that women accelerate 5.5-6.5s.  I understand the calculus involved between velocity and acceleration as acceleration approaches 0, the difference in velocity are smaller.  I am just looking for more data to review.

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.