A couple of questions about flexibility

Posted In: Flexibility

Participant
        merlin on #15775

I cannot bend over to touch my toes. In fact it gets tight when my hands get down to my knees. When I try to bend like this all the tension and pain is felt at the back of my knees – is this normal?

Also a friend told me to do the following stretch. Sit down on the floor and place the feet, which knees and ankles together, on a chair and then try to put the chin on the knees. The ankle between the calves and the thighs is about 90-100 degrees, and the back is more or less upright. What does this actually stretch – I’m guessing the hamstrings but I’m not sure?

Participant
        Mccabe on #83809

I don’t understand how your ankles can touch your knees? is this like curling up into a ball?

Participant
        merlin on #83821

It was meant to say, “with knees together, and ankles together”. Thanks.

Participant
        johnstrang on #83824

Do you do any lifting? My freshman year of college I was very inflexible and simply from doing a lot of strength training over last five years and ESPECIALLY this year I can now bend over and put my palms on the ground. Things like RDL’s, deep squats, and full power cleans can help that problem.

Participant
        trackspeedboy on #83825

If you’re that tight I would think just general daily static stretching should fix your problem.
        And do dynamic stretches pre workouts and also hurdle step overs and other mobility drills.

Participant
        Mccabe on #83847

Do that stretch and many more. Being that inflexible will affect your sprinting.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #84452

Normally I don’t recommend a ton of stretching but in your case I think you need to do some extra work. PNF stretching and full range of movement lifting as John mentioned should help your flexibility greatly. If you can’t touch your knees you have a serious flexibility deficiency.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Carson Boddicker on #84916

Is there a possiblility that it is not necessarily a length issue of the hamstrings but an inability to execute a proper weight-shift to allow the movement? I haven’t really been privy to this idea until a friend recently posed the question. I have yet to find a good answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
        Carson Boddicker

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #84939

Carson-
        I have seen this to be the case but it’s pretty rare. Also, it seems the two issues are related because shifting the weight back while flexing at the trunk increases the length of the hamstings.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Carson Boddicker on #85042

Mike,

Thanks for the note. What you said makes sense. Is the weight shifting necessary essentially “pushing the hips back”?

Participant
        Jay Turner on #89537

I’ve always wondered, what actually causes a severe case of inflexibility, similar to what merlin is experiencing?

Participant
        flow on #89543

I’ve always wondered, what actually causes a severe case of inflexibility, similar to what merlin is experiencing?

not moveing,

girls running around in high heels all day…

Participant
        flow on #89544

ya, strenth training and pnf would really rule in ure case! do you understand the term pnf?

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #89561

We’re all different. Just as some people have limited innate capacity for speed, strength or any other biomotor ability; others are very naturally limited (or gifted) for flexibility.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Jay Turner on #89648

[quote author="Jay Turner" date="1253654171"]I’ve always wondered, what actually causes a severe case of inflexibility, similar to what merlin is experiencing?

We’re all different. Just as some people have limited innate capacity for speed, strength or any other biomotor ability; others are very naturally limited (or gifted) for flexibility.[/quote] Glad you brought up the “gifted” aspect of flexibility. I currently have an athlete who is RIDICULOUSLY flexible (to the point that it may actually hinder her). She’s VERY weak in her core area and posterior chain. What are some things I can do to improve this?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.