3 Things to Fix Usain Bolt’s Start

Posted In: Blog Discussion

Participant
    JeremyRichmond on #77055

cheetah start…you guys are kidding, right?

Mort I’m not sure if you’ve seen it. Go frame by frame in the video and see both arms go backward. I’m tempted to try it right now as I have the blocks set up right here but I’m really worried this time that I’ll fall flat on my face.

Participant
    mortac8 on #77061

I don’t see both arms going backwards in the video in post#11. Am I drunk?

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #77062

I don’t see both arms going backwards in the video in post#11. Am I drunk?

I don’t see it. The only thing I see is a slow first step.

Participant
    JeremyRichmond on #77063

[quote author="mortac8" date="1232789836"]I don’t see both arms going backwards in the video in post#11. Am I drunk?

I don’t see it. The only thing I see is a slow first step.[/quote]

On second thoughts its just a camera trick that I saw which made me think both arms went backwards.

I looked up the other videos on you tube to verify this type of start. Even with all my talent it didn’t work for me just now – certainly it doesn’t compare to the jaguar type of leap I get out of the blocks with the Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell technique.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #77091

Adarian-
    Welcome to ET. I would expect the wide spacing of the feet actually makes any attempts at a ‘cheetah’ start almost impossible because it would seem to take out the rear leg and place the front foot in front of or below the athlete’s COM which isn’t really an advantageous place to be for pushing back.

On a related note, didn’t Shingo (10.0x) from Japan have an untraditional start technique? I believe he used both pedals right next to each other for some time.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.