3 Things to Fix Usain Bolt’s Start

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #15231

A recent news release quoted Usain Bolt’s coach, Glen Mills, as saying that the otherworldly sprint god is going to focus on improving his start for the 2009 season. Here’s the exact quote from the article:We have identified three major things with his starting that we feel we can correct this coming season. I feel that within the next two seasons he is going to become one of the fastest starter

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #76303

I don’t think he needs to fix much of anything. His reaction time doesn’t even bother me either. To become faster over 30-40m he needs a larger impulse initially and I don’t think this will benefit him as he sufficient impulse coming out of the blocks and may require a slightly higher body mass which might be detrimental to ability to attain a higher maxV.

I have the Olympic 200m race on my psp.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #76307

I have lots of video of Bolt but nothing really where we have a close up of his start…especially sagital view.

Also, I’m not sure I follow what you’re saying about impulse being sufficient? Why wouldn’t more be better?

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #76309

[quote author="dbandre" date="1231328696"]

I have lots of video of Bolt but nothing really where we have a close up of his start…especially sagital view.

Also, I’m not sure I follow what you’re saying about impulse being sufficient? Why wouldn’t more be better?[/quote]

More impulse might require more body mass especially in the upper body and that would be detrimental to performance in the long run (just an opinion). So I think he can develop more impulse, but it will take time possibly 2-3 years before it becomes significant over what he has already.

Participant
    premium on #76315

wait…your not suppose to listen for the gun?

Participant
    RussZHC on #76316

Mike:

is “chasing Bolt # 1” at about 20 seconds…the only thing is I am not sure how valid it is as it is the video from a commercial but very nearly perfectly perpendicular.

is “chasing Bolt # 2” and about 15 seconds in there is very close to saggital plane (shot from adjacent lane BUT a bit later from the adjacent lane on the opposite side, so that may be useful too) and then around 27 seconds a repeat, more or less of the above video, but this one looks like it is prior to any processing.

All of the “chasing Bolt” series at the very, very beginning have a front 3/4 shot but it only lasts maybe a 1/4 second and again there is no way to tell how much was for the camera and how much was “real” IMO.
    If you take the chasing Bolt # 2 frame by frame it is quite interesting because you can judge by the pixelation what body parts are moving when, and it is suprising how relatively long the foot on the front block does not move at all, the arms that were still in frame
    # 1 are entirely blurred in frame # 2 and most video cameras that’s what?
    .06 seconds?

Participant
    premium on #76318

i believe i heard ato boldon say this..that he has bad start posture like he cranes his neck or something

Participant
    JeremyRichmond on #76320

I’m taking it the coach is joking. Bolt is just as fast as anyone (except Ben) out of the blocks.
    Only thing Bolt needs to improve on is his last 20m. He needs to stop celebrating early (Beijing 2008). Who wrote the comments on the You Tube video? Seems pretty clued up on how to get out of the blocks.

Participant
    premium on #76357

this guy adarian barr…hes trying to get his “revolutionary” start technique- the cheetah sprint start-more popular…but he’s also selling “speed gloves”

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #76380

I’m taking it the coach is joking. Bolt is just as fast as anyone (except Ben) out of the blocks.
    Only thing Bolt needs to improve on is his last 20m. He needs to stop celebrating early (Beijing 2008). Who wrote the comments on the You Tube video? Seems pretty clued up on how to get out of the blocks.

He’s actually among the top 3 ever at any segment of the race but I don’t think that means he’s perfect. Relative to his top end speed and speed endurance, I’d say his acceleration abilities are his weak link right now.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    JeremyRichmond on #76385

this guy adarian barr…hes trying to get his “revolutionary” start technique- the cheetah sprint start-more popular…but he’s also selling “speed gloves”

Interesting. Speed gloves worked well for Muhammed Ali.
    Notice the toe-dragging? Consistent for both Asafa and Usain. Is it also the standard for the other Jamaicans?
    This would keep the COM low even if the body angle was more upright.
    Thoughts?

Participant
    adarian on #77044

latest video of a sprinter using the cheetah sprint start.

“Nice hip displacement with the Cheetah. Also, looks like the athlete is expressing all the potential energy from the hips/knees/ankles. And I like the big, backward arm rip to set up the shoulder stretch reflex and encourage full amplitude in the alternate leg.

Keep up the good, interesting, work.”

Participant
    JeremyRichmond on #77048

latest video of a sprinter using the cheetah sprint start.

“Nice hip displacement with the Cheetah. Also, looks like the athlete is expressing all the potential energy from the hips/knees/ankles. And I like the big, backward arm rip to set up the shoulder stretch reflex and encourage full amplitude in the alternate leg.

Keep up the good, interesting, work.”

Dude welcome aboard. How did you work out your method? Can you estimate how much of an improvement one would get over 10m and can you quote any studies that may be relevant? I myself have a sprint start technique which I have just decided to call “the jaguar” which I want to include in my thesis. However, my university won’t accept any hair-brained idea unless I have some justification for it apart from “it just makes you faster”. Therefore, anything information you can contribute will be of benefit.

I notice the double arm swing backwards limits the forward arm swing. My question would be what result would this cause in the first step after the blocks as I presume it limits the drive one can create during the first step. However I understand that if one gets good momentum in the block start, such a drive in the first step may not be as critical. Your thoughts?

Participant
    adarian on #77053

“BLOCK CLEARANCE

As the athlete drives from the blocks, the rear leg is pulled through fast; the front leg fully extends; the arms drive vigorously in a short arm action; while the head remains in a natural line with the trunk. Tellez & Doolittle suggest that as a result of the drive from the blocks, the force that has been applied through the front block travels in one direct line through the body. An angle of 45 degrees being suggested as the optimum angle for the most efficient drive from the blocks. It would appear that an angle much greater than 45 degrees would lend itself to too much vertical component and thus sacrificing some early acceleration. An angle of less than 40 degrees may cause a stumbling effect necessitating short strides to correct the imbalance. However, Payne & Blader (1971) suggest that provided the athlete does not trip or interfere too much with subsequent running, it would seem that on the whole, as much horizontal impulse as possible should be striven for during the start. It was found that when athletes complained of stumbling out of the blocks, they had the best starts as measured by the mean horizontal acceleration and mean velocity over 20 feet.”
    https://www.lollylegs.com/training/Starting.aspx

Participant
    mortac8 on #77058

cheetah start…you guys are kidding, right?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.