2008 Olympics: Random Observations

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #14756

I’ve been watching the Olympics via NBC and on the MSN broadcasts. In fact, I’m watching the finale of the live broadcast of the men’s all-around gymnastics competition. It’s been great to watch these competitions and I’ve picked up a lot of interesting things. Here’s some random thoughts about the first 6 days:Anyone notice the tape on many of the volleyball player’s shoulders? That’s cal

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #71395

wow…you wrote everything i was thinking…weeeeeeiiiiiiirrrrrrddddddddd!!!!

Participant
    RussZHC on #71396

Continually enjoying this site especially as while Athletics centered it is not always just about track and field.
    Mike, your last point about various sports you would remove from the Olympic schedule I found interesting as one of the first sports I coached was track cycling and part of the reason given by governing bodies (UCI) for changing and then eliminating some track cycling events that had been a long time part of the competition calendar was to allow enough time for BMX to be added to said competitions.
    It was presented as the IOC not wanting to just add more and more sports so in this case cycling had to axe something in order to add something else. To me part of this was the “X Games” mentality in that many of those Games events are more conducive to TV coverage but, IMO, some are also more of a “fad”.
    And now, as a casual observer, it looks like in the intervening time between proposal and acceptance of the event, BMX, much of the general population’s enthusiasm has waned. It helped that a winter sport, skiing, has roughly an equivalent event in that multiple competitors are on parallel courses at the same time. One or two people on a bike for time is far less interesting visually than up to 8 going at the same time in the same space.
    It is also a bit “odd” that track cycling already had such an event, the Keiran but international governing bodies tend to shy away from that as there are (legal)gambling connotations from Japan where Keiran is huge.

Participant
    JimP on #71397

I admire the athleticism required for gymnastics and diving, however, final standings are determined by judges. Track and field and swimming are superior in this regard. Performances speak for themselves.

Participant
    sbones on #71401

Mike

Any chance of a broader discussion of kinesiotaping? I noticed it on a few track athletes at the trials, and my first reaction was of the “Oh my gosh, of course that makes sense – why didn’t anyone think of it before” variety.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #71402

Mike

Any chance of a broader discussion of kinesiotaping? I noticed it on a few track athletes at the trials, and my first reaction was of the “Oh my gosh, of course that makes sense – why didn’t anyone think of it before” variety.

I’ll try to write something up tonight or tomorrow. It’s pretty interesting.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    RussZHC on #71443

Kinesiotape, very interesting but certainly not cheap ($99 CDN for 6 rolls each 4 1/2 yds).
    Sort of putting a number of other forum conversations together…I have found the best track and field event coverage has been on CBC sports BUT whatever live streaming feeds they have had, not the television coverage, for the individuals who have a bit of understanding of track and field as there is no commentary sound just background noise with starters instructions etc.
    I am beginning to question how much training/instruction the second and third level of officials have received as it often seems they are oblivious to their being there because of the athletes. In one of the first womens’ 800m heats there was an official standing on the inside lane line as the beginning of the group came through; in the heptathlon there was a bit of an “incident” in the long jump when one of the German competitors had to wait and wait and wait while they did something (it first appeared one of the unused take off board covers was uneven to the surrounding surface) but while they were doing this her time clock to complete the jump was running and she looked to be the only one aware of this and it got to the point where she told them this is her “life” and this is the Olympics! And there is a tone of wanting to hustle/hurry competitors around…there are often 7 minutes or more on the IAAF schedule per track heat, give the athletes a break.
    As a hurdle coach who puts out a lot of hurdle by himself, you gotta love them using Gator type tractors pulling little carts and 8 to 10 “attendees” jogging beside each unloading one hurdle of one flight for the 400mH. Angelo Taylor (47.94, semis) looked amazingly calm and very strong.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.