I’ve been trying to catch as much of the Olympics as possible. One of the things I’m noticing is the complete and total commercialization of the games. This has trickled down to affecting the very sports that are contested. It’s actually as if NBC is hand choosing the time of the competitive schedule and the sports to be TV friendly for the American viewing public. I would like to petition from my lowly shelf that a sport can be disqualified from competition if any 2 of the following apply:
- If the medals in a given event or sport are ever swept by athletes who will be, have been, or are attending Ivy league (or Southern Ivy league schools like Duke).
- If the sport is a less competitive version of a pre-existing sport.
- If your sport is contested in the X games.
- If playing your sport requires you to wear a bikini.
- If the performance enhancing drug of choice for your sport is marijuana.
- If Americans have won every gold medal ever given in the sport.
- If there are no participants in said sport from an entire continent.
- If it requires the use of a horse and not the use of a gun.
Can you think of any to add to this list? Also, take some guesses at what sports this would rule out and list them with the disqualifying points (as numbered in the list).