If you didn’t hear or see, Usain Bolt handily broke the 100m world record today with a 9.72 at ICAHN stadium. A couple things make this performance especially impressive:
- The performance verifies Bolt’s previous 100m performance from earlier in the year (9.76).
- Up until this point, Bolt had primarily been thought of as a 200m runner.
- He held back World Champion Tyson Gay.
- He’s now faster than his countryman Asafa Powell.
- If there was any doubt about the sprint domination of Jamaica, please let it be removed. Jamaica, an island about the size of my small town, has now produced the two fastest humans ever AND also contributed to WR and Championship medals of other countries through their ex-patriots (Ben Johnson, Donovan Bailey, etc).
I was looking for some video to post but apparently there’s nothing up yet. I’ll try to post a video as soon as I can find one.