I am a strong believer in utilizing total body movements throughout the training year. Total body movements involve a combination of pushing, pulling movements and squat derivative movements. The advantages of total body movements are:
- All major muscle groups are utilized and linked. Movement is through a full range.
- Movement is ballistic.
- There is limb acceleration and deceleration.
- Technical demand is high.
- Balance and timing are necessary for success.
- The athlete must be fully engaged mentally to achieve progress.
There is a mistaken notion that total body movements must be done with an Olympic bar. I think that a bar is inappropriate for many body types and many sports. Using a dumbbell as illustrated in the picture of squat to press allows the resistance to fit the body rather than trying to make the body fit the resistance. I have found total body dumbbell movements really effective in season where time is limited. It is possible to get a great workout in 15 to 20 minutes. You get a lot of bang for your buck.