I’m very excited to announce my first workshop in the UK organized by PROFORMANCE Strength & Conditioning. While I regularly present in North America my only previous speaking experience in Europe was in Dublin last year. In Dublin I presented on “In-season / Off-season Training for Football (Soccer).” You can watch the video of that presentation HERE.
This 2 day workshop will be something that I’ve never done….a combination of lecture and hands-on workshop over 2 days. I’m planning to share my thoughts on how I integrate all of the sports sciences (motor learning, physiology, biomechanics, muscle mechanics, training theory) to develop speed and power. The workshop will be appropriate for athletes and coaches in both individual and team sports. Here is the tentative workshop outline and necessary info:
MIKE YOUNG – AN INTEGRATED APPROACH TO SPEED & POWER DEVELOPMENT Register NOW!
LOCATION: Hartpury College
DATE: 30TH & 31ST May 2015
DAY 1: An Integrated Science Based Approach to Speed Development
- Fundamental concepts of speed (90 min lecture)
- Motor learning based drills, cues and strategies for a powerful acceleration
- Motor learning based drills, cues and strategies for maximizing top end speed
- Fundamental concepts for enhancing deceleration, change of direction and agility (60 min lecture)
- Drills & skills for deceleration and stopping efficiently
- Learning to change direction at speed
- Considerations for developing sport appropriate speed, reaction and change of direction training
DAY 2: Building a Bigger Engine for Speed and Power
- Fundamental considerations for strength & conditioning for athletes (60 minute lecture)
- Squat, press, pull teaching progressions
- Olympic lifting teaching progressions
- Understanding the role of strength and power development for speed (45 minute lecture)
- Special and specific strength methods to enhance accelerative power
- Plyometric methods to enhance low end power for acceleration
Specific exercises and methods to enhance eccentric power for top speed
- Plyometric methods to enhance leg stiffness for top speed
- Modifying olympic lift movements for speed development
- Specific plyometric exercises to enhance accelerative and lateral power
- Using complexes to enhance neuromuscular stimulus
- Designing the session
- Early bird price £225 for the weekend;
- Regular registration is £325;
- VIP package includes access to 3 Course Dinner with Mike & the other VIP coaches. Early bird pricing is £325 and £425 full price.
This will be a very high level workshop where I’ll share the training means and methods I use with my athletes. There are already some great coaches signed up from some of the top sports teams and programs in the UK. Don’t miss out.