Training Football Players for Indoor Sprinting

Posted In: What Would You Do?

• Participant
    barto on #60568

Mike,

You certainly don't need my advice on this subject, but for anyone else reading this thread I'll chime in.

Speed skill.  Speed skill. Speed skill.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #60569

Mike which day did you drop? I am assuming you had the following hi intensity days.

1-accel, 3-maxv, 5-accel, 6-speed end.

It all depended on what condition they came to me in. As I said I didn't have any control over what they were doing in their football strength sessions and as a result they would often come to me already beat up. They did a lot of higher rep stuff that made them very sore which made attempting to do competition phase speed-work impossible or counter-productive.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #60570

[quote author="LR1400" date="1190303116"]
    Mike which day did you drop? I am assuming you had the following hi intensity days.

1-accel, 3-maxv, 5-accel, 6-speed end.

It all depended on what condition they came to me in. As I said I didn't have any control over what they were doing in their football strength sessions and as a result they would often come to me already beat up. They did a lot of higher rep stuff that made them very sore which made attempting to do competition phase speed-work impossible or counter-productive.
    [/quote]

how long were the high reps done for?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #60571

They were doing them for all of indoor season. I believe the strength coaches philosophy is a little different than mine. Not bad just difficult to integrate.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #60572

They were doing them for all of indoor season. I believe the strength coaches philosophy is a little different than mine. Not bad just difficult to integrate.

i could see high reps making them sore in the early weeks but once the body adjust it should help the speed work, i think higher reps are easier on the CNS. i have been during higher reps for the past 6 weeks and haven't experience any soreness since week 2.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #60573

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your points but I can tell you they were 'beat up' many times by the time I got them. I don't know EXACTLY what they were doing with the football strength coach but I know the effect it had on their bodies by the time I got them. I knew better than to try and do speed work with them. Also, this wasn't a case of them trying to get out of workouts because these guys did anything I asked.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #60574

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your points but I can tell you they were 'beat up' many times by the time I got them. I don't know EXACTLY what they were doing with the football strength coach but I know the effect it had on their bodies by the time I got them. I knew better than to try and do speed work with them. Also, this wasn't a case of them trying to get out of workouts because these guys did anything I asked.

could it have been there military duties or the fb conditioning?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #60575

It wasn't the military duties because everyone was dealing with this. It was definitely there off-season football workouts.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    burkhalter on #60576

It wasn't the military duties because everyone was dealing with this. It was definitely there off-season football workouts.

Maybe after the see your results on the track you can talk him into letting them out of the off-season workouts.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #60577

[quote author="Mike Young" date="1191182363"]

Maybe after the see your results on the track you can talk him into letting them out of the off-season workouts.
    [/quote]

not gonna happen.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #60578

As UT said, it wouldn't happen. This year though, they are all seniors and will be done with FB in Dec / Jan so I'll have them full time for the indoor and outdoor seasons.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    meat on #60579

Well atleast this year they'll be done with football so it can happen.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #68107

I’ve got 2 of 3 football guys back out. The third tore his ACL and won’t be back until spring. In their first meet of the year the 2 guys ran 7.22 and 7.10 over 60m. They both had only 1 week of track training prior to the meet. Both are rusty and lacking sprint fitness so hopefully there times should drop considerably in the coming weeks.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Beau Brehm on #72540

I think a major problem with football players in general is that most of them use their quads as their primary mover when they sprint. This is a result of all the “strength & conditioning” work they do where basically all their lower body work targets the quads. So my first priority would be to get them using their glutes as their primary mover as opposed to their quads.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #72543

How do you identify the overuse of quads relative to hamstrings and what would you do to go about fixing it?

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.