Training an Offensive Lineman for the NFL

Posted In: What Would You Do?

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #11560

Athlete: A collegiate offensive lineman.

Scenario: This lineman was among the top 3 lineman in the country as a sophomore but was kicked off the team for violating team rules. He sat out his junior year and now wants to train for the NFL draft. His sophomore year play would have made him a top 20 pick in the draft but his year off has made his stock drop and he's now projected as a late second rounder. He didn't train much during the fall but his agent has come to you looking to prepare him for the draft. Your bonus is dependent on him returning to top 20 status. You have 3 months. Here are his current stats:

• Height: 6'6" (2.0m)
    • Weight: 300 lb (137kg)
    • Body Fat: 22%
    • Bench Max: 400 lb
    • 225 Rep Test: 12
    • Power Clean: 315 lb
    • Squat Max: 430
    • Standing Long Jump: 2.7m
    • Vertical Jump: 28"
    • 40 yard: 5.1
    • 10 yard: 1.8
    • Has never tested any of the agility tests (shuttle, etc.)

He needs to primarily be ready for the 10 yard, 40 yard, vertical jump, and bench rep max.

Things to consider:

*How do you train him?
    *What do you focus on?
    *How would his training progress over the next three months?

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    QUIKAZHELL on #50783

Increase strength to weight ratio by dropping bodyfat and increasing lean mass. This is a sure way to improve his jumps and speed (fat dont fly) as well as his poor lifts for someone of his stature.
    However, the focus must be on building as much muscle as possible at the same time as losing fat. Reason being …this kid is a lineman!!!! He cannot afford to be any lighter than he already is in the NFL.

More to come. I would first like to hear from others.

Ohhhhhh, and one more thing. A 400 pound bench and 12 rep 225 doesnt match up. Something is wrong here. I'm not buying it. I have never seen such a thing. My roomate is 170 pounds and max bench is 290 and he can bang out 12 reps. My max bench is 335 and I can hit 18-20.

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #50784

The poor boy needs muscular endurance, i'd start with bodybuilding circuits 4x a week for 8 weeks, and do accel work along with mobility/agility drills and plyos on the leg days.  The bodybuilding circuits would give him some needed muscular endurance work along with increasing his hormone profile and hopefully will reduce his bodyfat % and add muscle.  The last 4 weeks I would focus on maximizing strength and power as much as possible as well getting him into some kumrie and munoz drills to work on that all important kinestetic awareness and work on speed and plyos 2x a week. his 40 time and jumps indicate he has ability and don't need as much work as other aspects.

Quik:  the 400 bench with a 12 rep 225 matches pretty well with untrained specimens.  Just the other day I couldn't lift 505 with deadlift for the first time in forever and hit 8 reps with 435 not a likely match either, just a lack of specific work.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #50785

[b]Athlete:[/b] A collegiate offensive lineman.

[b]Scenario:[/b] This lineman was among the top 3 lineman in the country as a sophomore but was kicked off the team for violating team rules. He sat out his junior year and now wants to train for the NFL draft. His sophomore year play would have made him a top 20 pick in the draft but his year off has made his stock drop and he's now projected as a late second rounder. He didn't train much during the fall but his agent has come to you looking to prepare him for the draft. Your bonus is dependent on him returning to top 20 status. You have 3 months. Here are his current stats:

[list]
    [li]Height: 6'6" (2.0m)[/li]
    [li]Weight: 300 lb (137kg)[/li]
    [li]Body Fat: 22%[/li]
    [li]Bench Max: 400 lb[/li]
    [li]225 Rep Test: 12[/li]
    [li]Power Clean: 315 lb[/li]
    [li]Squat Max: 430[/li]
    [li]Standing Long Jump: 2.7m[/li]
    [li]Vertical Jump: 28"[/li]
    [li]40 yard: 5.1[/li]
    [li]10 yard: 1.8[/li]
    [li]Has never tested any of the agility tests (shuttle, etc.)[/li]
    [/list]

He needs to primarily be ready for the 10 yard, 40 yard, vertical jump, and bench rep max.
    [b]
    Things to consider:[/b]
    *How do you train him?
    *What do you focus on?
    *How would his training progress over the next three months?

if you really look at his numbers they are not that bad the only thing that REALLY stands is the 225max and that is really easy to improve esp if he really bp 400+.. ONE THING I WOULD NOT DO IS CHANGE HIS TRAINING TO INCREASE OR DECREASE WEIGHT THAT SHOULD BE TAKING CARE WITH DIET CHANGES.

I LIKE THIS ONE MIKE LET ME THINK ABOUT IT OVERNIGHT, VERY INTRESTING..

Participant
    QUIKAZHELL on #50786

The poor boy needs muscular endurance, i'd start with bodybuilding circuits 4x a week for 8 weeks, and do accel work along with mobility/agility drills and plyos on the leg days. The bodybuilding circuits would give him some needed muscular endurance work along with increasing his hormone profile and hopefully will reduce his bodyfat % and add muscle. The last 4 weeks I would focus on maximizing strength and power as much as possible as well getting him into some kumrie and munoz drills to work on that all important kinestetic awareness and work on speed and plyos 2x a week. his 40 time and jumps indicate he has ability and don't need as much work as other aspects.

Quik: the 400 bench with a 12 rep 225 matches pretty well with untrained specimens. Just the other day I couldn't lift 505 with deadlift for the first time in forever and hit 8 reps with 435 not a likely match either, just a lack of specific work.

Danimal your example is a bit different. I also doubt he is an untraine athlete since he was one of the top 3 lineman in the country. 225 is only 55% of 400. I do not believe that he could only do 12 reps. Maybe he did this on a bad day or something. And unless this is positvely what he can do then his max bench needs to be restested. Until this is definate I would not change this athletes program to strength endurance because as i said when you improve strength endurance improves. Typically the stronger you get in a 1rm the lighter 65% 75% 85% etc. will be comapred to your old max.
    I agree with UT  to an extent about changing his body comp through diet but still the focus would be too put on more muscle to make up for the lost wieght which he will need to play line at the next level. When he loses the fat and puts on the muscle his jumps and sprints will improve altough they are pretty good to being with.

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #50787

I really think he has detrained since his sophomore year, and put him into an untrained state, was falls into that  "coulda, woulda, shoulda" category.  I would change the program to get the hormone profile a hypertrophy workout provides, but it also provides some specific endurance qualities that I think would prove beneficial as well.  That said I still leave 4 weeks to work on strength which should provide time for adaptability towards that end.  If you don't change his program he'll stay the same, the obvious thing here that I believe mike wants to portray is that his training is what needs changed.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #50788

just thinking since he has been out of the game for a yr i would really focus on his position drills/tech..

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #50789

just thinking since he has been out of the game for a yr i would really focus on his position drills/tech..

That's why i said I would do some kumrie and munoz drills.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #50790

yes u said the last 4 weeks, i would probably do them his whole visit..

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #50791

Nah, I'd just stay with other low intensity plyo work in that time.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #50792

why low intensity. no need for the bb circuits

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #50793

Sure there is, the low intensity plyos help work the SSC cycle still.  The whole theme of the first 8 weeks is increasing his capacity to do work.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #50794

i would have him lifting 4days per week hard so theres not room for bb circuits this is football not tf..

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #50795

He'll be lifting hard, but a strength workout won't cut his BF% by building lean mass like a hypertrophy workout will.  He also won't have the specific endurance to build his 225 bench reps in an ordinary strength set up.  Actually, its a combine preparation, not just Football.  He has significant weaknesses that will be exposed under his current training setup or a max strength one.  His current strengths are above average for his position such as  10 & 40 time and VJ.  His weaknesses lie in that he can't bench 225 enough times (specific endurance) and his lack of agility testing (hence the lower intensity plyo work earlier on) and his BF% hence the hypertrophy work.  Then is no need to work specifically on force application and power development those areas he is fine in which are great for straight line speed and jumping, track and field type attributes.  I specifically stated he would be lifting 4x a week, but not a strength one.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #50796

He'll be lifting hard, but a strength workout won't cut his BF% by building lean mass like a hypertrophy workout will. He also won't have the specific endurance to build his 225 bench reps in an ordinary strength set up. Actually, its a combine preparation, not just Football. He has significant weaknesses that will be exposed under his current training setup or a max strength one. His current strengths are above average for his position such as 10 & 40 time and VJ. His weaknesses lie in that he can't bench 225 enough times (specific endurance) and his lack of agility testing (hence the lower intensity plyo work earlier on) and his BF% hence the hypertrophy work. Then is no need to work specifically on force application and power development those areas he is fine in which are great for straight line speed and jumping, track and field type attributes. I specifically stated he would be lifting 4x a week, but not a strength one.

this is really simple, very simple…  I WILL NEVER CHANGE MY STRENGTH NOR SPEED PROTOCAL TO CHANGE BOBY COMP, HIS DIET WILL FIX THAT WITH  LOW GLYCEMIC CARBS AND LEAN PROTEIN.. his 225 is also very easy bc its not like he dont have max strength shizzle he bp 400+lbs so we just need to improve strength end or mus end which is very easy in this matter..

250 pounds max number of times

25 push-ups

3:00 rest

250 pounds max number of times

25 push-ups

3:00 rest

225 max number of times

25 push-ups

2:00 rest

225 max number of times

25 push-ups

155 max number of times

25 push ups

2:00 rest

135 max number of times green bands

25 push-ups

OR

MON:
    BP 1 REP MAX
    AUX LIFTS

THUR:
    225X100REPS
    AUX LIFTS

ALSO JUST BC HE NEVER PERFORM AGILITY DRILLS DOESNT MEAN HE CANT MOVE..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.