olifts/plyos and back pain

• Participant
    speedy-turtle on #12570

is it normal to notice spine pain after doing plyos or olifts?

As far as i can tell my form is fine for the olifts (ie no rounded back). and same with the plyos… but i think the compressive forces upon impact and weight "catching" is causing my spine to feel a little sore. Is thhis a sign that i should stop? or is it something that i will adapt to?

by the way i haven't really done that much: i did hang cleans on tues, power cleans and plyos (90 ground contacts) on wed, and on sat i did snatches and plyes (50 ground contacts).. this is all on top of regular strength lifting and tempos… Also this is the first time i really incorporated olifts into my routine.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #61207

is it normal to notice spine pain after doing plyos or olifts?

No. Not unless your using inappropriate technique, volumes, or intensities.

As far as i can tell my form is fine for the olifts (ie no rounded back). and same with the plyos… but i think the compressive forces upon impact and weight "catching" is causing my spine to feel a little sore. Is thhis a sign that i should stop? or is it something that i will adapt to?

Pai is usually your bodies way of telling you to stop. Sometimes you don't need to listen (like at the end of a 400m) others (like now) means you probably do. It sounds like you're using too much weight. Drop down in load slightly and use comfort as your guide. You'll adapt quickly.

by the way i haven't really done that much: i did hang cleans on tues, power cleans and plyos (90 ground contacts) on wed, and on sat i did snatches and plyes (50 ground contacts).. this is all on top of regular strength lifting and tempos… [b]Also this is the first time i really incorporated olifts into my routine.[/b]

This is the problem. It's a new exercise, technique is probably not great and I'll bet you used more weight than you were ready for.

Give it some rest and follow my guidelines and you should be fine.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    georgemicheal on #230896

If you exercise with proper technique then you will not have any back or spine problem. In case you still have any issues with it then consult is with your nearest Spine Surgeon or Chiropractor, they will then help you in treating such pain.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.