Josh Hurlebaus’ 400m training journal

Posted In: Training Journals

• Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #85977

Man i hate imperial measurments…lol…good job though

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #85978

Thanks guys. I knew the OHB was usually the longer of the two, but I thought it would be more than a .5m difference. Also, I don’t usually use imperial either when measuring this stuff, but my buddy was doing the measuring and marking today.

Participant
    davan on #85979

Really surprised by the throws given your sprint times and jumps. Most people around your speed I have seen throw much further, even when having significantly weaker jumps (and probably lifts as well).

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #85980

Yeah, I’m a bit put off by the throws as well. I wonder if having to toss a boulder rather than a shot has something to do with it. Its not a particularly dense rock and is the size of a small watermelon

Participant
    davan on #85982

I’m sure that has an effect depending on grip, but we’re talking a good 3+m shorter than most people around your numbers, I’d imagine. Interested to see the lifts though. How is the hamstring?

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #85984

The hamstring feels great. No pain, twinges, soreness, etc. Flexibility and strength throughout the range of motion is back to how it was pre injury as well. I really think that the lack of lifting hurt my test results alot. My broad jump was a solid half foot off of normal as well. I haven’t lifted except for body weight or rehab stuff since the beginning of May.

Participant
    Jason Gosa on #86057

When you test the throws again later on, test with a shot and your rock to compare the two head to head, might put your mind at ease regarding the past results and offer some interesting new results to contrast.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86061

Started the first phase of training today, everything went well and I feel pretty good, but I can tell I’ll be a bit sore tomorrow. After not having lifted for quite a few weeks, I dropped the weights considerably for the first week. I didn’t want to ruin the week of workouts by having the “first day squatting” syndrome, where I can barely walk for a few days after.

Warmup– 4x100m strides, hurdle mobility, dynamic flexibility work, a few sprint drills and then 3 accels.

Workout– 3x4x20m hill sprints, 60 sec/5-7min recovery for reps/sets

– I’m doing a hill program that I found two years ago that I feel works well for both accel and building work capacity early on. Also, I have three shaded hills around my house that are long enough and of varying degrees of slope that allow me to progress well.

Lifting
    Powercleans 2×5 @ 165
    Hang cleans 2×5 @ 165
    Squats (atg) 8×4 @ 175
    Glute/ham raise 2×10 w/12lb medball

Like I said, I kept the lifting volume and weights a bit under what it probably should be had I not taken so much time off. I want to re-acclimate myself to high intensity sprint raining so I’m taking it easy.

The program I am using for squats is the density hypertrophy model found in the classics section, with rests bumped up to 30-45 seconds. Along with the hill sprints, I’ve found that they really help create a solid foundation for later on in the offseason.

Shot throws (boulders, in my case)
    4x each, Overhead spike throw, forward chest pass from squat, BLF, OHB

All in all a good day of training. The first 8 weeks of my program have me increasing volume every week, except for weeks 4 and 8 which are low vol testing/recovery weeks.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86062

When you test the throws again later on, test with a shot and your rock to compare the two head to head, might put your mind at ease regarding the past results and offer some interesting new results to contrast.

Thats a good idea. I need to find myself a shot, however. I don’t know when the next time I’ll be at Carroll is after this week though since my summer course ends on Thur.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86096

Todays workout mainly revolved around soccer. I biked about 15 min to a pitch and did a few drills and flexibility exercises. After about 15 min of passing and light shooting a friend and I did 7x3x full length pass-pass-pass-shoot drills. You both stride down the field and get about 3 passes off before you shoot. Rest is the time it takes you to get the ball from the net. After 3 times we rested for a few minutes and did it again. Pretty good workout!

I’ve got upper body lifting tonight when I get home. I’m a bit sore from yesterday but feel pretty good.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86339

Alright… I didn’t post the rest of last weeks workouts because I finished the retaining wall project I had been working on. We moved a few tons of stone and then also put in a staircase down a hill, so I was spent after that for a few days. As such I decided to just start over and repeat what should have been done last week. I upped the weight in the lifts a bit.

Warmup– 4x100m strides, hurdle mobility, dynamic flexibility work, a few sprint drills and then 3 accels.

Workout– 3x4x20m hill sprints, 60 sec/5-7min recovery for reps/sets

Lifting
    Powercleans 4×5 @ 175
    Squats (atg) 8×4 @ 185
    Glute/ham raise 3×10 w/25lb plate

Shot throws (boulders, in my case)
    4x each, Overhead spike throw, forward chest pass from squat, BLF, OHB

Everything felt great and I’m looking forward to playing some soccer and doing some longer strides tomorrow and some upper body work

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86416

Tuesdays workout was strides and some soccer. It wasn’t intense at all, just a good recovery day.

Todays workout

Warm up
    Bodyweight Series twice through ( 10x pushups> squats> pullups> lunges)
    Light static stretching
    Dynamic flexibility and hip mobility
    Sprint drills

Workout
    Medball Series – 8x OH Spike, L&R shots, chest pass, blf, ohb
    Hill skips and bounds- 2×4 contacts each foot- skip for distance, skip for height, continuous broad jumps, alt leg bounds

Lifting

Pushup/Pull up sets. 3x 15 pushups, 30 sec rest, 10 pull ups, 1:30 rest

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #86421

Josh –

On those recovery days – for the BW circuits….

One suggestion – Either do max reps for a period of time – ie – 30′ push-ups, 30′ pullups, or else reps till failure.

For a guy as strong and quick as you are, the stuff you did today has almost zero utility.

Realize today was recovery, but if you are going to do low intensity resistance training, is much better to give it a little volume.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86422

Which BW series? The one I listed was for the warmup.

The pushup/pullup sets were resisted with a 20lb weighted vest. I hate lifting weights for upper body so I do as much as I can with rings/paralletes (to go deeper) for my lifts.

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #86423

Which BW series? The one I listed was for the warmup.

The pushup/pullup sets were resisted with a 20lb weighted vest. I hate lifting weights for upper body so I do as much as I can with rings/paralletes (to go deeper) for my lifts.

I’m talking about the “push-up pullup series” under the title “Lifting”.

Even with 20 lb vest, is not a great workout – even for recovery days. My point is, try doing reps for a timed set, vs. a certain (easy) number of reps.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,017 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.