Javelin Training Prog.

Posted In: Throws

• Participant
    R.J. on #17449

Basically wanted to get on here and get some of my ideas out there for other coaches and athletes to look at. Currently coaching at D3 college in WI. I have 6 decathletes and 5 open event athletes I train. All the open event athletes specialize in another event with Javelin coming second.

For our pre-season phase which I have for March, it basically involves a throwing progression training. Focuses are on arm,elbow,hip,chest,wrist placement.

With limited time and other events for the decathletes to attend to precise and quantitative exercises are done.

See Men and Women alternating days, tues/thurs.

Sample day looks like:

Jog x5
    A-skip x5
    Shuffle x5
    Carioca x5
    Jog to draw x5
    Build-ups x5
    (All done with javelin in hand, or knockenball due to limited # of javs)

Hip snaps x20 both sides
    One step power position x10 both sides
    Block leg weight shifters, both sides until comfortable
    One follow through throws x10

Largest emphasis is placed on hips first, then chest and arm progression follows.

Stressed a lot with younger first time athletes on location of arm,elbow during draw back and release.

First meets in 3 weeks. Plan to jump on once a week with training updates/progress/notes.

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #106495

How good are they as javelin throwers?

How many played baseball or football competitively in past?

For early on in javelin, I like to see people throwing pretty hard and getting good amounts of volume – so you can see who can actually throw. Warming up with jav ball or footballs is a good way to watch for that too.

Participant
    R.J. on #106670

To answer the above posted;

I would say as a group they are fair-good for never having throwin before.

I have one who was a football player, two baseball players and one volleyball player. These were all high school sport endeavours and they are now full time into track and field.

I do agree with the higher volume early in the season and some of the warm ups with various other objects other than the javelin. It becomes a problem with the athletes that I am coaching since our “pre-season” is two weeks and I have them for 2 days a week.

One of the biggest problems that does occur though from different object use is incorrect mechanical execution of the throw it self. Proper javelin form would be elbow through then wrist to follow. Most of the athletes tend to go wrist before elbow resulting in a slower release or some type of a side arm toss.

Thursdays session went well. I introduced cross overs into power position. I knew going in that this would be the hardest area aside from the through release that athletes have. Lots of proper reps helps them remember form and also me watching them with corrections along the way. I also was able to pick up another discus thrower who has a very natural draw back and incredible hip snap. A matter of keeping the javelin in position throughout the throw and not allowing him to drift outside as with the discus throw.

Workout:

Continous crossovers, jav drawn back x30 (slow)
    One step cross into power position (proper angle,feel emphasized)
    Crossovers into power (focusing on proper push off back block with front)[started at tape pull through]
    Power positions, multiple up and down run way, slow then fast
    Full throws x2 (for those advanced,previous athletes allow run-up, new to event; no run up just crossovers into power)

I dont usuaully like to rush into the full throws but with limited time I need to push the issue. Will have video camera to analyze after they return from spring break. Encouraged lots of throwing over break to stay conditioned for return.

Participant
    R.J. on #106978

Kids are finally back from break. Can tell who has been keeping up and who hasn’t
    Been making a lot of smaller technical corrections now as opposed to larger general pointers for 3/4 of the athletes. Most of the problems deal with over-rotating after the block causing a sideways flight pattern.

I’ve been correcting this through various “chest open” drills and simpler one step block drills.

What I have noticed tends to happen when speed is added (a run up) it is either one of two things;

1. Bad crossovers good block
    2. Good crossovers with no block

I know that with most of them being new to the event it is a learning curve but due to the short outdoor season I make every attempt to speed up the process.

Session Drills:
    One step block x10 (chest open, back leg pushing NOT stepping up)
    3 crossovers into plant x5 (emphasing hard throws with first meet this weekend)
    Jog-draw into crossovers-jog ( this is helping the athlete get a feel for drawing the javelin back at speed and transitioning into crossovers) This drill is something I do a lot of to help muscle memory on carry position.
    Full throws x10 (for returners allow a jog up, otherwise short approach or only crossovers into plant for new athletes)

I also have been using the “drag cross” method to emphasize staying low to the ground throughout the throw. Keeping momentum in a forward direction is struggle with first timers. Tendancies are to “jump” into plant and not follow through with throw.

Thursday is another day!

Participant
    R.J. on #107049

Thursday was good training session. First outdoor meet this weekend which will allow the new throwers a chance to perform in competition and give some of my olders a chance to tweak into the form.

I wanted to touch on thing that kept occuring during practice which is something that I see needing to be addressed a lot from all different levels of throwers. Keep the momentum of the throw continuous in a forward vector and not “curling” upon the plant/finish. What is lost within those twists and turns is much needed velocity that is now being applied to a curling over of the body.

I am always reminding athletes that to keep the javelin going in a constant direction is to stay “open” to the throwing sector. This involves keeping chest, hips and to some extent arm directions continous towards the throwing sector and not curling it back in towards the runway. A typical “curler” will land on one foot and be parallel to the scratch line.

My emphasis this weekend is relaxation throughout the throw and keep “home” with the javelin, refering to keeping the javelin drawn back even at or above eye level with the tip and not swinging to the outside during crossovers. Drawing back even with body or behind is ideal for stretch reflex.

Will give an update when possible on the results/thoughts.

Participant
    R.J. on #107096

Meet in Iowa

1. 32, 37, SCR
    2. 47, P, P, 46, 47, 46

This was athlete 1’s first outdoor meet throwing. Did okay considering he had done shot and hammer prior to throwing. Was VERY timid and ridgid with form. No fludity in movement but was able to get his a 5m improvement by making him focus solely on arm speed.

Athlete 2 took one throw, went to the 100m then came running back finals. He was slightly fatigued but as with athlete 1 not fluid.

Overall I am okay with the performance for our opening meet. Will be emphasing relaxation and arm speed during the week at practice.

A rushed athlete is always a tight one and both had that issue this time around.

Next meet on Friday I will have the women and more men throwing along with myself competing as well.

Should be a fun week of practice, hoping the weather holds through the week.

Participant
    R.J. on #107181

Cross wind across the sector put a bit of a cramp in throwing but it is what it is.

After recapping the weekend meet and looking to this weekend, decided that release velocity and finish position was something I needed to address.

Having consulted multiple studies and current Olympian Mike Hazle I took a two step approach to correcting things. First was to have all the throws that were taken finsihed in the up right and tall position. Standing straight up after block and release. This was done multiple times with a 1 step and then 3 step approach. Did take a bit of time but once everyone got the idea of a high finish, angles of attack improved as did release positions. Most of my former side armers have come to the follow through and now I am looking at a solid group of throwers.

My next issue was velocity at release. Basics are there but most of the athletes are hesistant to throw with arm speed and release velocity. For these drills I had the men throw the women javelins for a lighter and quicker release pace. This was coupled with a emphasis on gentle holding of the javelin. Results were excellent. Some of the throwers were able to get excellent releases and some had the whole package. What I am looking forward to for Thursday is a full attempts to see what happens with form when I give no instruction. If there is a break down it tends to show up on the block phase with a bend knee or lazy arm. Allowing me to see them in full form with video is best to determine specifics of each thrower.

5x 1 step tall release
    10x 3 step tall release
    5x 1 step velocity
    10x 3 step velocity
    5x Ful throws

As for myself I am excited to see where I am in throwing this weekend compared to last year.

Enjoying this time of year, a lot!

Participant
    R.J. on #107278

Meet went very well, had multiple PR’s for my open throwers.

I threw well with a 54.33m

Winds were nice, competition was decent. Looking to improve again on velocity and angle of attack this coming week. There is still some sloppy block legs that will be addressed on the newer athletes.

My decathletes will be having their first go at a full decathlon this coming weekend. Will be nice to see how I get improvements from them in scoring and in form.

Hoping for the weather to hold up.

Participant
    R.J. on #107363

Block, block, block….

That was the main theme for our session on Tuesday. Getting the athletes to actually hear the block leg hit was a big turning point for some of them. I understand the different types of learners out there so I always try to incorporate all three styles into coaching. I was also able to get the video cam out and catch some of the mistakes in action. Most caught on real quick after seeing themselves being in an improper position. What I liked most about Tuesdays session was the amount of force the men were attempting to put through the handle. It had been a slowly coming transition to get them believing that fast velocities are possible if executed correctly.
    I also stayed with a high volume of work this week since most will be focusing on other events this weekend.

Training Session:

Power position throws x10
    One step plant throws (done slowly to emphasize block leg) x10
    3 cross over throws (emphasis on slow to fast with cross overs, hear the block) x10
    Full throws x10

Also wanted to note that some of the throwers have moved from only crossovers to a 4 step jog into crosses. Have yet to see whether or not distances will be + or – with the increased speed. Will know this weekend at competition.

Participant
    R.J. on #107482

Had a meet last weekend that was, well to the say the weather was bad is an understatement. It was between 30-35 degrees all day with 30+mph winds blowing towards the runway. Not ideal to say the least. Eventhough it was adverse conditions I am happy to report my athletes won both the open and decathe portion of the javelin.

We were suppose to practice yesterday (Tuesday) but due to circumstances could not meet until tomorrow. I am going to be covering smaller tasked items of the javelin. This is stuff I like to get into the closer we apporach conference and nationals.

They include;
    1. wrist/hand placement
    2. head orientation during release
    3. follow through – where to be, proper alignment
    4. crossover specifics – honing in on number of crossovers, decreasing distance from scratch line
    5. incorporating specific, measureable drills ( two handed overhead MB toss, knockenball throw for distance from block position)

Refining the fine motor specifics in the athletes who are ready for it can start to tack on the extra meters that will mean the difference farther down the road. Those who are still in the learning progression should not be excluded but their focus is mainly on fundamentals with these things incorporated on a smaller scale.

Participant
    R.J. on #107891

Conference meet this past weekend. Ben was the champion in the javelin with a 54.57m throw, lifetime PR and Brain took 4th with 50.01m. Great to see seniors go out with a top finishes.

We are now transitiioning into our last chance meets. Looking to simply increase arm speed and drop volume of throws. All are high intensity, full throws with simple warm ups on the day prior to the meets.

Some of the throws will include girls javelin throws to increase speed. Will not take more than 25 throws in days leading up to meet.

I will be competing as well, hoping to recapture the 65m throw I scratched 2 weeks ago. Will be placing the results up here and updating progress of the other 3 athletes competing as well.

Go Deep!

Participant
    R.J. on #108723

Been a bit since I was able to get back on here but work, work, work is the name of the game lately.

Anyway I was able to personally end the collegiate track season on a good note at a last chance meet in Oshkosh. Finally getting back into the 53m range felt nice. I followed that with one month off from competition throwing (June) and will be competing in a final summer meet in July.

I have been throwing 2 times a week at a local field, not having a run way is a bit annoying but it also keeps me honest in the amount of speed I can attempt to bring into the throw, leaving concentration where it should be now and that is in technique.

Also wanted to throw this out there as a food for thought. Looking at the best in the world right now I see a contrast between some of the European throwers and American throwers in terms of height and weight. Europeans tend to be taller and thinner while the Americans seem more bulky and shorter.

I know that this does not apply to all Europeans and Americans, it is more a generalization. Do we emphasize size and power over technique and finesse here in the States?

This is not saying that one is better than the other but a look at past Olympic/World Champions can speak volumes for itself.

Hope to get some feeback on this!

Throw Far, Stretch Tapes, Break Records

Participant
    R.J. on #110815

New Season Beginning, New Training Plan.

I had a good 3 months to review all the progress of my athletes from last. Some highs and lows but mostly as first year at coaching it was a good learning experience.

What I did notice was near the end of the season I lost sight of technique development and tried to address brute force or speed/positions.

With what I have taken from last year moving into this coming season I have rewritten the training plan for both men and women. A larger emphasis is being placed on arm speed development along with proper finshing positions, which tended to be a struggle of last year.

I am able to start work with the athletes around February and until then I will do some collaborations indoors with knockenballs and footwork drills.

I have a renewed sense about developing our younger athletes this year as most of mine will be in the junior/senior category during 2011-2012 season.

Will hop back on here periodically to spit out some ideas and hopefully get some feedback on new training ideas I’ve been kicking around.

‘Til then, Stretch Tapes.

Participant
    R.J. on #119031

A quick update on what has gone on. As of the 2012 season, had 6 athletes place top 5 in conference for men and women combined. Multiple PR’s by many of the athletes and a personal PR for myself over the summer as well, 56.98m.

As 2013 is approaching I took a long look at what was working and what was not. I noticed that all the athletes have the arm strength without a doubt but the technical aspects were lacking at some points.

With that being my focal point for the year, I am starting the training season as such,

Warm-up
    A’s, High knees, shuffle, carioca, sprints
    Bird flaps
    Overhead claps
    Handstands
    Bridges

Back foot turn drill, no knockenball x 20
    Back foot turn drill, Men – 2kg Women – 1kg x 20
    Lunge with med ball pocket to pocket, opposite leg opposite arm. x 10 BKWD and FWD
    Partner chest passes w/med ball x 20

I keep this the same for both days except I add 1 more drill on day 2 which is a overhead knockenball toss. Feet together, chest closed. The athlete bends back into reverse C and then must activate from feet to hand in order. The idea is to make sure that the chest is pushed through first with the arm following in succession.

My objective within this training cycle is to train the “break to block” portion of the penultimate. A lot of the athletes struggle with a straight leg block and activating the high heel into a downward knee. Will do my best to at least get something up here once a week.

Stretch tapes and take titles.

Participant
    R.J. on #119114

While I’ve been going through last years video, I noticed that a hip twist issue needs to be addressed with a majority of the throwers.

I have utilized simple lunge and twist drills utilizing medballs and pvc pipe.

Anyone have a suggestion for faster hip mobility drills that they have used in the past?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.