Hamstring Injury Prior to Championships

• Participant
    utfootball4 on #116644

[quote author="utfootball4" date="1338874261"][quote author="Craig Pickering" date="1338863047"]Hi Danny. I tore my hamstring in season in 2008, and was back racing exactly 21 days later. I had a grade 1 of the semi-tendinosis, so might have had a slightly different recovery time.

I didn’t run for the first 5-7 days, but did loads of non-painful activation’s – bridges, SL deadliest (no weight), drills etc. Also lots of neural stretching. The goal here was to experience no pain at all.

After this, I started to add in some running. 14 days post injury, I ran a 10.4 in training, which was when I knew I was ready to compete.

The main thing is to stay positive and do the right things. If you have three weeks compromised training, it will have NO effect on your performance at the USA Masters – it might even help freshen you up quite a bit. Good luck and hope it goes well.

Sounds good – and make sure to pound the upper body….. Most people I know usually run better or Pr 10-21days after returning from the injury..[/quote]

I’ve been thinking about my training. Here is a thought that I have. Given a hamstring means I should gradually ease back into training. I may play around with 400m workouts, but nothing that goes over 320m. If I can build my strength perhaps I can enhance my speed. It will basically be a hybrid workout that will include acceleration and I’ll throw max v in after a few weeks of solid training and comfort with my hamstring. Thoughts?[/quote]

I wouldn’t do it – could lead to more issues down the line…. Mod the workouts in the early stages – when you get healthy you should be able to handle your reg training if not – then your not healthy….

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #116650

[quote author="Craig Pickering" date="1338863047"]Hi Danny. I tore my hamstring in season in 2008, and was back racing exactly 21 days later. I had a grade 1 of the semi-tendinosis, so might have had a slightly different recovery time.

I didn’t run for the first 5-7 days, but did loads of non-painful activation’s – bridges, SL deadliest (no weight), drills etc. Also lots of neural stretching. The goal here was to experience no pain at all.

After this, I started to add in some running. 14 days post injury, I ran a 10.4 in training, which was when I knew I was ready to compete.

The main thing is to stay positive and do the right things. If you have three weeks compromised training, it will have NO effect on your performance at the USA Masters – it might even help freshen you up quite a bit. Good luck and hope it goes well.

How did you adjust you workouts or did you stay the course?[/quote]

I did plenty of accels, and then as the hamstring got better and better added max V and then speed end.

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #116656

[quote author="Danny Tutskey" date="1339028554"][quote author="Craig Pickering" date="1338863047"]Hi Danny. I tore my hamstring in season in 2008, and was back racing exactly 21 days later. I had a grade 1 of the semi-tendinosis, so might have had a slightly different recovery time.

How did you adjust you workouts or did you stay the course?[/quote]

I did plenty of accels, and then as the hamstring got better and better added max V and then speed end.[/quote]

I ran today and did the following;

1 x 300m, 2 x 200m – 41.39, 26.05, and 25.40 – 10-12′ rest
    4 x 10 of GS work. SwB, etc.

I felt pretty good. I’m thinking I’ll get into some accel work next Monday and see how it feels. I may have to do some of this at submax until I feel comfortable. One question I do have is about this kind of workout. It’s a max v workout so to speak, but here you go.

Step Ups w/ fly-in – 1-2’/ rep, 3-5’/ set
    4 x 20m
    3 x 30m
    2 x 40m
    1 x 50m

I don’t really have a specified fly-in distance. I’ve typically gone with 25-30m fly-in. I could use a jog in of 5m or 10m as the distance gets further and try to keep the distance down as much as possible. What do you think?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.