Hamstring Injury Prior to Championships

• Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #18409

Last Thursday, May 28, 2012 I was doing a Max V workout. On my 6th rep, I suffered a Grade 1 Bicep Femoris Tear. I had it looked at by a trainer and PT later in the afternoon. The PT told me to take Ibuprofen, Ice, and lay off of it for a week and I should be able return to what I was doing prior, just ease into it.

I’m not sure where to begin or what protocol to follow. When I do set foot on the track it will be 8 weeks until I compete (hopefully) at the USA Masters Track Meet. I was in a really good place prior to the injury.

I have done some heavy upper body lifting, but at what point can I look at Max V or training of that sort?

Participant
    utfootball4 on #116596

How do you know it’s a grade 1 bicep femoris tear?

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #116597

I got into see a PT for an evaluation that afternoon after work. He couldn’t find any significant gaps or ridges in the hamstring. He said definitely a grade 1, possibly a grade 2, but he was pretty doubtful it was that bad. Mainly because I didn’t have strength loss during tests or pain. He ruled out the tendon because it was too high for it to be that. He was pretty confident that a week off would heal it.

I’ve read that acceleration will be something I can do from the get go, but at what point can I do max v or do I avoid completely? Is it possible to do contrast training in lieu of max v?

Participant
    utfootball4 on #116598

A week off ain’t going to do shit – ask Matt kemp…

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #116599

What do you suggest? He told me to ice, get the swelling down, look to stretch 1 week post injury and to wear a sleeve over it to keep it warm other than when I sleep. I’d get ART done if I could afford it or justify it to my wife and daughter. A 50 min session is $100. If ART is not an option, what do you suggest?

Participant
    utfootball4 on #116600

Rest/Mod training for the next 21days..

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #116601

Rest/Mod training for the next 21days..

Can you give me a little more detail? I did lift the past two days.

At what point could I start running? Should a wait till a week from tomorrow to start running? Should it be tempo based similar to what I did at LaX and put an emphasis on heavy acceleration?

Participant
    utfootball4 on #116602

[quote author="utfootball4" date="1338782134"]Rest/Mod training for the next 21days..

Can you give me a little more detail? I did lift the past two days.

At what point could I start running? Should a wait till a week from tomorrow to start running? Should it be tempo based similar to what I did at LaX and put an emphasis on heavy acceleration?[/quote]

I don’t think we have a blueprint – everyone is different..

1: Rest 4-5 days (No lower body – only upper, ems treatments, high dosages of advil, ice several times per day).

2: Around day 6 or 7 you could start lower body bw movements/biking.

3: Around day 10-12 you could start reg lower body movements at reduce wt/vol/int along with easy jogging… Pound the low intensity wall mb circuits to help keep gen fitness levels.

4: Around day 14 you can increase the intensity of lower body movements and start submax accel and tempo work. Accel work starting at 10 and slowing working your way out and short distance tempo work.

5: Around day 21 gradually work your way into normally training…

With grade one injuries I think it’s safe to work around 21 days – when you feel healthy I would take another 3-4 days to recovery… I think hamstring injuries are easy to recover from if done correctly – if not you may end up like Matt Kemp….

Participant
    utfootball4 on #116603

Don’t be stupid – don’t rush the process……

Participant
    hscoach on #116604

we had a girl suffer a similar injury. 14 days later she was able to sprint at 100% thanks to a competent chiro and athletic trainer. after 72 hours of ice and compression the chiro provided “needles” every other day and the athletic trainer did e-stim b4 practice and e-stim with ice on top after practice.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #116605

we had a girl suffer a similar injury. 14 days later she was able to sprint at 100% thanks to a competent chiro and athletic trainer. after 72 hours of ice and compression the chiro provided “needles” every other day and the athletic trainer did e-stim b4 practice and e-stim with ice on top after practice.

I don’t like estim b4 – should be ultra sound/heat before and ice/estim post.. Bol with your athlete.

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #116612

Hi Danny. I tore my hamstring in season in 2008, and was back racing exactly 21 days later. I had a grade 1 of the semi-tendinosis, so might have had a slightly different recovery time.

I didn’t run for the first 5-7 days, but did loads of non-painful activation’s – bridges, SL deadliest (no weight), drills etc. Also lots of neural stretching. The goal here was to experience no pain at all.

After this, I started to add in some running. 14 days post injury, I ran a 10.4 in training, which was when I knew I was ready to compete.

The main thing is to stay positive and do the right things. If you have three weeks compromised training, it will have NO effect on your performance at the USA Masters – it might even help freshen you up quite a bit. Good luck and hope it goes well.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #116619

Hi Danny. I tore my hamstring in season in 2008, and was back racing exactly 21 days later. I had a grade 1 of the semi-tendinosis, so might have had a slightly different recovery time.

I didn’t run for the first 5-7 days, but did loads of non-painful activation’s – bridges, SL deadliest (no weight), drills etc. Also lots of neural stretching. The goal here was to experience no pain at all.

After this, I started to add in some running. 14 days post injury, I ran a 10.4 in training, which was when I knew I was ready to compete.

The main thing is to stay positive and do the right things. If you have three weeks compromised training, it will have NO effect on your performance at the USA Masters – it might even help freshen you up quite a bit. Good luck and hope it goes well.

Sounds good – and make sure to pound the upper body….. Most people I know usually run better or Pr 10-21days after returning from the injury..

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #116642

[quote author="Craig Pickering" date="1338863047"]Hi Danny. I tore my hamstring in season in 2008, and was back racing exactly 21 days later. I had a grade 1 of the semi-tendinosis, so might have had a slightly different recovery time.

Sounds good – and make sure to pound the upper body….. Most people I know usually run better or Pr 10-21days after returning from the injury..[/quote]

I’ve been thinking about my training. Here is a thought that I have. Given a hamstring means I should gradually ease back into training. I may play around with 400m workouts, but nothing that goes over 320m. If I can build my strength perhaps I can enhance my speed. It will basically be a hybrid workout that will include acceleration and I’ll throw max v in after a few weeks of solid training and comfort with my hamstring. Thoughts?

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #116643

How did you adjust you workouts or did you stay the course?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.