Hamstring Injuries

• Participant
    bret contreras on #17025

Hey guys, I have two questions:

1. Do more hamstring injuries occur during the 60m sprint, 100m sprint, or 200m sprint? In other words, which race is the most dangerous for hamstring injuries?

2. Do most hamstring injuries occur during the first half or second half of the 100 meter sprint? In other words, which phase is most dangerous for hamstring injuries?

Thank you very much for your time!

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #101828

Both times I ever hurt my hamstring were during 70-100m of the 100m. I’ve never watched anyone pull a hammy during early accel, its usually at least 30m into the race once elastic strength has taken a dominant role.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #101835

Most of the hamstring injuries I’ve seen are around 70-100m. With lesser athletes it might occur earlier. As Josh said, pulling a hammy during acceleration is very hard. That’s 1) why it’s safe to do acceleration work all-out from day 1 even after a long layoff; and 2) why acceleration development can be a great tool for safely working speed on a recovering athlete before they can tolerate upright sprinting.

Bret-
    Check out this study.[/url]

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #101837

I have experienced quite a few hamstring injuries in the past. In races, these have been exclusively past the 70m point, and one I remember doing at around 95m. ve also had two grade-1 injuries that occured in a race, but I didnt feel until 2-3 hours afterwards, so I cant say at which point these happened within the race.

Interestingly, however, the worst hamstring injury I ever had occurred on the first step from the blocks, but this was in training. At the World Indoors this year, GB had an athlete who tore his hamstring before 30m. Both mine and his hamstring injuries were of the semi-mem and semi-ten, not bicep femoris, so acceleration running might stress these hamstrings more. Im speculating, but I imagine that the wider steps taken from the blocks puts more focus/pressure on the inner two hamstrings.

Participant
    bales on #101838

Strangely my only hamstring injury I have had (grade 2) was during the accleration phase, I pushed out out the blocks and then was getting left a little and tried to push again and it just went.

I always would have assumed prior to this that it would have been the accleration/decelration period where hamstrings were most likely to go rather than steady state running….you learn something new everyday!

Participant
    bret contreras on #101862

Great answers guys! Thank you very much for the feedback. Mike – perfect article.

Participant
    Irish100m on #101920

My only hamstring injury was approx 40m into a 200m race

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #101962

My only hamstring injury was approx 40m into a 200m race

Was that on you inside or outside leg?

I would imagine on the inside leg, hamstring injuries would be more likely as the foot is planted as rotation is occurring – does anyone know if this is true?

Participant
    Alex Andre on #101965

An added question to you guys:

How did you feel in the session leading up to your hamstring injury?

I tore by biceps femoris yesterday, and leading up to it I had felt remarkably fast. I felt my fastest ever. I thought it was a strange coincidence that what felt like my fastest session ever ended in an injury.

And to answer the original question, my tear was around 45m into a 70m rep.

Participant
    Irish100m on #101999

[quote author="Irish100m" date="1284307205"]My only hamstring injury was approx 40m into a 200m race

Was that on you inside or outside leg?

I would imagine on the inside leg, hamstring injuries would be more likely as the foot is planted as rotation is occurring – does anyone know if this is true?[/quote]

Erm it was the semitendonous so whichever bit that is – my biology isnt great!

To answer the next question, I did mine in a race. i had earlier ran a PB in the 100 so was feeling good. I felt a slight tightness in my hammy when warming up for the 200 but it went away completely 9or so i thought) during my warm up with no pain or cramp or anything. Then just came out of nowhere in that race.

Participant
    Irish100m on #113960

my secodn and third big hamy tears came at 80m into a 100m, and about 50m into a 60m rep in training (semitendeonous and bicep fem respectively)

my hammies are shit

Participant
    Isaiah Miller on #113965

Just to add another vote I pulled my hammy for the 1st time during a 70 yard touchdown from a Halfback toss…I remember burning the other team on this play and I was about 15 yards ahead of the other players then suddenly I felt and heard a pluck as if a guitar string was cut then I pulled up about 15 yards from the end zone and grabbed my hammy…The funny thing about this injury is all of my team mates thought I was high stepping and celebrating 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.