Guidelines

Posted In: Training Theory

• Participant
    400stud on #8516

What do you guys think are some general guidelines to follow as far as different types of workouts? Everyone has different guidelines, so let's hear it.

In your response include distances for each rep, volume (min and max), rest, and purpose (alactic anaerobic system, strength endurance, etc.). All for the following:

Int. Tempo
    Ext. Tempo
    Speed (all aspects)
    Speed Endurance
    SE1
    SE2
    Hills
    Running A's
    Long Bounds

And if you want throw in some sample workouts to go along with it. I know I'm not the only one not 100% sure about these things so let's get a discussion going.

I know certain things depend on phase so if you want to specify that, too, go for it.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21507

Nice topic. I was in the middle of adding something like this to the new FAQ secion, so I think when I'm done I'll post it here also; but first of all, so we can all get on the same page, what event are we talking about or are we making these so general it shouldn't matter?

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21508

Here are my general guidelines. I'll post specific ones when you anwer my last post.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    400stud on #21509

Let's get sprint specific now and if anyone wants guidelines for other events they can ask.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21510

I looked over the question again and it is very extensive! Here's my brief and very quickly put together answer for a 200m runner:

Very Very Early: 1 meso
    Int. Tempo: 1 day a week (~1600m / session)
    Ext. Tempo: 2 days a week (~2200m / session)
    Speed: resisted runs or hills / stairs: 2 days a week (~500m / session)

Very Early: 1-2 mesos
    Int. Tempo: 1 day a week (~1600m / session)
    Ext. Tempo: 3 days a week (~2200m / session)
    Speed:
    -acceleration development: 1 day a week (~120m total)
    -resisted runs or hills / stairs: 1 day a week (~400m total)

Early: 1-2 mesos
    Int. Tempo: 1 day a week (~1400m / session)
    Ext. Tempo: 3 days a week (~2200m / session)
    Speed:
    -acceleration development: 1 day a week (~200m total)
    -speed development: 1 day a week (~200m total @ Vmax)

Mid: 1-2 mesos
    Int. Tempo: 1 day a week (~1400m / session)
    Ext. Tempo: 2 days a week (~2000m / session)
    Speed: acceleration development and speed development on the same day: 2 days a week (~150m total @ Acc.; ~150m total @ Vmax / session)

Precomp: 1-2 mesos
    Ext. Tempo: 2 days a week (~1800m / session)
    Speed: acceleration development and speed development on the same day: 2 days a week (~150m total @ Acc.; ~150m total @ Vmax / session)
    Speed Endurance 1: 1 day a week (~1000m)
    Speed Endurance 2: 1 day a week (~1200m)

Comp:1 meso
    Ext. Tempo: 2 days a week (~1400m / session)
    Speed: acceleration development and speed development on the same day: 1 day a week (~100m total @ Acc.; ~100m total @ Vmax)
    Speed Endurance: 1 day a week (~700m total)
    Competitive effort / meet

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    400stud on #21511

Dang, mike. I appreciate the long response. Just one more thing….can you get 400m specific?

Participant
    QUIKAZHELL on #21512

Mike great post i agree with everything exept…..

Comp:1 meso
    Ext. Tempo: 2 days a week (~1400m / session)
    Speed: acceleration development and speed development on the same day: 1 day a week (~100m total @ Acc.; ~100m total @ Vmax)
    Speed Endurance: 1 day a week (~700m total)
    Competitive effort / meet

How can you fit in 3 speed days with a competition unless you meant for your competition to count as SE 1?

was that the case or no?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21513

Quik-
    I'd like to say that's what I meant but it was really just a result of posting too quickly without checking the post :shock:. I think your option sounds good.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21514

For a 400m runner, I think I'd basically keep it the same except the volume on everything would be a little higher (~10%) other than for extensive tempo and speed work, the distances for each rep would be slightly longer except for speed work and the average intensities for the speed endurance (including 1 and 2) would be slightly lower.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    400stud on #21515

Alright, mike. I looked over it again and I have a few questions:

1) Should 400m runners really be doing acc. dev. all year round? I thought after so long acc. dev. would turn into speed development and maxV?

2) Should acc. dev. and speed dev. or maxV be on the same day? That seems weird to me. Can you give an example workout?

3) When you say Speed Endurance 1 and 2, are you actually referring to Special Endurance?

4) Do you really want to use Int. Tempo that much? I thought maybe through the 1st three mesos, but all the way until Pre-Comp?

I think that's it.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21516

1) Should 400m runners really be doing acc. dev. all year round? I thought after so long acc. dev. would turn into speed development and maxV?

Probably not. For long sprinters, a focus on acceleration development should shift to a focus on MaxV. This is what I've recommended in other posts (and what you're probably referrring to). It's again a result of a too-quick response.

2) Should acc. dev. and speed dev. or maxV be on the same day? That seems weird to me. Can you give an example workout?

I don't see a problem with it, especially for 200 and 400m runners. They're both high CNS activities and while not the ideal setup for maximal development of either it is probably the most time efficient for a long sprinter who may need to focus more on speed endurance. 90m sprint-float-sprints would be an example. The first 30m could be acceleration development and the final 30 could be MaxV development. Another example would be doing 5 x 30m with full recovery; and then coming back after 10 minutes and doing 4 x flying 30s.

3) When you say Speed Endurance 1 and 2, are you actually referring to Special Endurance?

They're somewhat interchangeable. I don't really think it would really matter. It would depend more on the current strengths and weaknesses of the athlete…..I picked this up from conversations with Dan Pfaff.

4) Do you really want to use Int. Tempo that much? I thought maybe through the 1st three mesos, but all the way until Pre-Comp?

I don't see a problem with using it in that middle cycle (I don't have it in pre-comp as you seem to say). My rationale was that by the mid meso, the intensive tempo that was a mid-to-high CNS day (relative to the rest of the week) in the first 3 phases is now a low-to-mid CNS day (relative to the the other high intensity days) during the mid meso. Note that the volumes have dropped for both the extensive and intensive tempos to better facilitate recovery from the increased intensity work.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    400stud on #21517

OK, that cleared things up.

So, the Int. Tempo could turn into the split runs I mentioned and then turn into special endurance runs from there? Kind of like how I had it?

Thanks.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #21518

Sounds ok to me!

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    400stud on #21519

Score!!! I got it.

Participant
    2belite on #21520

quote:
    ——————————————————————————–
    ——————————————————————————–

They're somewhat interchangeable. I don't really think it would really matter. It would depend more on the current strengths and weaknesses of the athlete…..I picked this up from conversations with Dan Pfaff.

Mike can you explain what it is that you picked up from Dan.
    Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.