Dealing with NCAA 8 hour Rule during GPP

Posted In: What Would You Do?

• Participant
    flight05 on #55942

so is there a point of even going thru a gpp when ppl come in that good in shape? do u start sprinting/plyos right away with them?

Participant
    mn-highjumper on #55943

We have this time restraint right now, so here's our WOMEN'S schedule:

4 day track week (friday's optional but 'strongly recommended)

Mon-Thursday lifting, 45 minutes to 1 hour
    Monday and Wednesday are tempo days,
    Tuesday and Thursday are short sprint days.

Jumpers and multi are only doing jumping components on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the next two weeks to focus somewhat more on building speed.

An example of our typical gpp week :
    Monday, lift at 6:30 am, 10×200 at 38 with 30 seconds between each (this started at 6 and built up to 10)
    Tuesday, lift at 6:30, 2x4x30 incline sprints, 4×20 flat sprints
    Wednesday, lift at 6:30, 2×500 with 15 minutes between; last 100m in 20 seconds
    Thursday, lift at 6:30, I can't remember although I believe it is sleds…
    Friday, optional, no lift, 2x5x100 at 85%

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #55944

so is there a point of even going thru a gpp when ppl come in that good in shape? do u start sprinting/plyos right away with them?

The fitness levels I get them at is nothing related to speed-power development. While I know they've been active over summer I can pretty much guarantee that most of them couldn't do anything speed-power related for almost 2 months. In fact, they've probably done all endurance-type activities. Regardless though, I'd still have my sprinters doing speed-power work right off the bat. Short accelerations, low level plyos, multi-throws, etc. These can be incorporated with little regard to the fitness level as long as the dosage is appropriate within the context of the overall training scheme. For example we might do sprints as short as 5-10m the first cycle. I'd do this whether they were 'in shape' or not.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #55945

We have this time restraint right now, so here's our WOMEN'S schedule:

4 day track week (friday's optional but 'strongly recommended)

Mon-Thursday lifting, 45 minutes to 1 hour
    Monday and Wednesday are tempo days,
    Tuesday and Thursday are short sprint days.

Jumpers and multi are only doing jumping components on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the next two weeks to focus somewhat more on building speed.

An example of our typical gpp week :
    Monday, lift at 6:30 am, 10×200 at 38 with 30 seconds between each (this started at 6 and built up to 10)
    Tuesday, lift at 6:30, 2x4x30 incline sprints, 4×20 flat sprints
    Wednesday, lift at 6:30, 2×500 with 15 minutes between; last 100m in 20 seconds
    Thursday, lift at 6:30, I can't remember although I believe it is sleds…
    Friday, optional, no lift, 2x5x100 at 85%

The only problem I really see with that setup is that athletes could potentially go 3 consecutive days without training. I'd much rather see the optional day on Wednesday and then have mandatory practice on Thursday and Friday. Also, seems like a lot of tempo work for jumpers but it could work depending on how the remainder of the year's training is set up.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #55946

i agree too much tempo and dont understand why they are doing tempo before speed.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.