Danny Tutskey’s Masters Training Journal 2011/12

• Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #17718

Weight: 163 lbs
    Height: 5’3″
    Post 30 years old PB
    55m: 6.38
    100m: 10.74

I live and train in Naperville, IL. I train at either North Central Colleges indoor and outdoor track and Benedictine University’s outdoor track. I thought since I am now competing at Masters Meets that this thread could use a boost since it’s not used very often.

By now you all know that I had ACL Reconstructive Surgery on December 17, 2010. My goal when I returned was to break 11.00. I did achieve that goal and believe that I can run in the 10.60’s.

Progression of Times Post Surgically

May 13 – 11.18
    May 20 – 11.03
    June 12 – 11.00
    June 26 – 10.92
    July 10 – 10.77
    July 29 – 10.92 (prelim, shut down between 80-90m)
    July 30 – 10.74

Current Lifting Bests Post Surgically
    I did not max out during my season. I had a few weeks of self testing and I progressed to the following numbers.

Power Clean – 230
    Power Snatch – 175
    Bench Press – 275
    Back Squat – 385

2012 Plan
    I am starting to work some things out for my off season and progression into my regular season. I haven’t set a date for training to begin, but I am nearing that. I am going through my workouts and looking at things that I felt worked very well for me and things that didn’t work so well. I do think that I benefited from days off throughout the week. I don’t think my body can handle training everyday and if I can benefit from a recovery day vs. a tempo recovery I’ll take the day off.

2012 Goals
    Win the USATF Masters 30-34 y/o 60m Dash
    Repeat as USATF Masters 30-34 y/0 100m Dash
    55m: Break 6.40
    60m: 6.85
    200m: 22.80
    100m: 10.69
    200m: 22.20

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #109604

A few things I am going to focus on over the upcoming month or two is an increase in flexibility and the development of functional strength. I know over the years I will slow down, however I feel I can delay the onset of it be increasing my functional strength, eating well and developing better flexibility. I am going to enroll in a hot yoga class to increase my flexibility. The class will be a 30 day class and should give me a base for development to continue through the season. Overall, I think this will improve many facets of my training and competition.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #109607

Atta boy, way to kick some ass this weekend!

Participant
    Blivit on #109612

Nice, another masters athlete…and near the same age too.

I also compete in masters 30-34 (I’m 32) and am very interested in your training. My times many many years ago were near yours but now not so much. I really want to get back down but am not having much luck. I am a 200/400 runner. I took 11 years off from running which I am sure is what slowed me down. 2 years ago is when I started back up, tried to do too much and was left with 3 hamstring pulls. Backed off last year and didn’t have the injuries but still had not gained much speed or fitness wise.

I too learned that my body could not handle training every day. What sort of schedule do you follow?

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #109613

Atta boy, way to kick some ass this weekend!

I kind of got the bug again. I had a lot of fun training and competing. I wish this season wasn’t over.

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #109614

Nice, another masters athlete…and near the same age too.

I also compete in masters 30-34 (I’m 32) and am very interested in your training. My times many many years ago were near yours but now not so much. I really want to get back down but am not having much luck. I am a 200/400 runner. I took 11 years off from running which I am sure is what slowed me down. 2 years ago is when I started back up, tried to do too much and was left with 3 hamstring pulls. Backed off last year and didn’t have the injuries but still had not gained much speed or fitness wise.

I too learned that my body could not handle training every day. What sort of schedule do you follow?

During my gpp (10 weeks) I trained pretty much everyday (M-F). Once I got into early, main and championship phase I mainly trained a combination of Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Monday Tuesday, Friday or Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday. Generally Monday was an Acc. Development day, Tuesday was SE and Friday was Max V.

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #110267

I have set up 5 weeks of training that I am going to do prior the start of my gpp workouts in October. I’m trying something a little different from what I normally do. I doing high rep exercises on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday lifting workouts. I’ve decided to include warm ups, specific warm ups, basic strength and strength endurance on Mondays. Tuesday will be a recovery/warm up. Wednesday will include dynamic warm up, specific warm up, strength, and injury prevention. Thursday will have Dynamic Warm up, Specific warm up, basic strength, midsection and work capacity. Friday will inlude another off day. Saturday Warm up and strengrh components.

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #110300

Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 1, Week 1 – Lifting

10′ Dynamic Warm up
    Specific Warm up

3 x 10 OH Squat
    3 x 10 Back Squat
    3 x 10 Bulgarian Squat
    3 x 10 Push Press

Strength Endurance
    2 x 40y Marching RDL

Participant
    Christopher Glaeser on #110307

By now you all know that I had ACL Reconstructive Surgery on December 17, 2010. My goal when I returned was to break 11.00. I did achieve that goal and believe that I can run in the 10.60’s.

Yes, believe it. Athletes can and do come back from knee surgery.

Best,
    Christopher

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #110389

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 2, Week 1

10′ Dynamic Warm up
    Specific Warm up

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #110390

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 3, Week 1 – Lifting

10′ Dynamic Warm up
    Specific Warm up

3 x 20 KB Swing
    3 x 10 Clean Deadlift
    3 x 10 Glute/Ham Raise
    3 x Max Pull Ups

Injury Prevention
    Neck Circuit 3 x 30s
    3 x 10ea Lateral Band Walks

Work Capacity
    Tabata Swing 20 seconds hard 10 Easy X 4 min

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #110391

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 4, Week 1 – Lifting

10′ Dynamic Warm up
    Specific Warm up

3 x 10 OH Squat
    3 x 10 Squat
    3 x 10 Shoulder Press
    3 x 10 Dips

Mid Section
    3 x Max Kip Ups
    3 x 15 Back Ext

Work Capacity

Tabata Squat 20 seconds hard 10 Easy X 4 min

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #110552

Friday, September 2, 2011

Day 5, Week 1 – Off Day

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #110553

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 6, Week 1 – Lifting

10′ Dynamic Warm up
    Specific Warm up

3 x 10 Clean Pull From Knee
    3 x 10 RDL
    3 x Max Chin Ups
    3 x 10 Hammer Curl

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #110554

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 7, Week 1 – Cross Training

20′ Dynamic Warm up
    Specific Warm up

8:25 AM Flag Football Game 8v8

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.